Pages

14 May 2011

My monochromatic flower entitled 'untold'


This was an exercise in using only black, white and one colour. I did this with a couple of colours and different flowers, but this was the best. It was originally two flowers but I got rid of one of them for compositional reasons.  I studied Georgia O'Keeffe before I painted the monochrome series so her influence is unashamedly obvious. I love her compositions and the shapes she used and the scale (I lacked the capacity to work to that scale at the time this painting was done... I could probably do it now... my husband has a sizeable garage.) Some of her paintings became abstracted from the subject, they are a study of shape and colour... and there is much more I could say but a friend has just dropped in for a coffee so I am off. Speak soon people.